×
×

San Agustin Church (Heritage)

History

The current building was inaugurated on July 4, 1926. According to the layouts traced by the then governor Ramon Garcia y Pizarro in 1772, the church was located between La Carcel Street (existing 10 de Agosto), Sin Nombre Street (currently Sucre), Torre Street (existing Chimborazo) and Caridad Street (currently Chile). A convent was built to one side of the church, whose building was located next to the current Municipal Library.

“After been destroyed by a fire for the second time, the church was transferred to a chapel known as “La Soledad”, according to the book “Religious Architecture of Guayaquil from the XVIII and XIX centuries”, written by architect Melvin Hoyos.

The construction located at the existing Pedro Carbo Avenue and Diez de Agosto Street, remained until 1902 when it was destroyed by a fire, for a second time, and was transferred to the chapel “La Soledad”, which was built in a land donated back then to the Order of San Agustin; narrates architect Hoyos in the Bulletin 85 of the Municipal Library.

After the fire, the temple was rebuilt in reinforced concrete in its existing location. The construction was completed on July 4, 1926, date in which it was inaugurated.

Anecdotes: there are urban and colloquial anecdotes that date back to the 1600’s, like the one certified by the king’s scribe, Juan Martinez de Miranda, who made public that captain Nicolas Serrano slapped himself in the face a hundred times right next to the church and in front of the whole community, for his  “past mistakes”.

Attractions

The rounded arches located at the dome represent a visual experience of great aesthetic value.  The semicircular altar suggests a welcome embrace. During the tour, the old polychrome ceramic that covers the floor can be appreciated, with its Mudejar designs of Arab architecture. 

The lateral altar to the left, of baroque style, has figures carved in wood, and also high relief images worked in marble. The altar of Santa Rita, also of baroque style, also has images carved in wood with a finish that resembles marble, whose inferior part has the emblem of Santa Rita. The altar of San Nicolas de Tolentino has the monogram of Jesus, Man of Light, carved in the inferior part.

Address: 
Luis Urdaneta Street and 6 de Marzo Avenue
Parish: 
Roca
Horario: 
Mass schedule: Mondays to Fridays: 07h30, 08h30, 19h00.Saturdays: 09h30. Sundays: 07h00, 08h00, 09h00, 10h00, 11h00 19h00.
Photo gallery: 
Altar of the San Augustin Church in which stands out the image of the Virgin Mary (Jose Dimitrakis)
Facade of the San Agustin Church (Cesar Mera)