×
×

Santa Ana Hill Chapel

History

The chapel is consecrated to the Virgin of La Merced. The Order was established in 1200 to safeguard the roads to Holy Land; they had both a military and religious mission. The Mercederian order arrived to Guayaquil in 1548.

On September 23, 2002, due to the festivities of the Virgin of La Merced, the Municipality of Guayaquil carried out an inauguration ceremony for the chapel, as part of the regeneration project of Santa Ana Hill.  During the ceremony, priest Augustin Alcazar, renewed the consecration vows of the chapel to the Virgin of La Merced, as patron saint of the Coastal region and the Armed Forces of the country; he received the keys of the Chapel according to the review published by El Universo Newspaper on September 24, 2002.

Attractions

The chapel is part of a tourist complex comprised by the lighthouse, the Viewpoint and the Naval Museum. The design evokes the old chapel of the colonial times. Spiral columns form its portico and the interior has beautiful stained glass windows that illustrate the Passion of Christ. Within the stained glass windows located to the east, there is one devoted to Santa Cecilia, protector of music; other with the image of a sailboat that reminisce the boats built at the shipyards of Guayaquil. In the back part of the chapel the visitor can appreciate the sword of Santiago el Mayor, patron saint of the city.

The building was designed in several styles using local materials of the coast like chanul, a typical wood of the region that is resistant to plagues and humidity due to its hardness.

There are old paintings in the interior of the chapel, which make reference to the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ.  Besides, there are also nineteen stained glass windows designed by Ecuadorian artists Luis Narea and Patricio Leon. Fourteen of them represent the Calvary of the passion and crucifixion of Christ and the other five depict the galleons (sailboats) that reminisce the maritime tradition of the city, and the Virgin Mary and her Son, representing the popular legend of Our Lady of Santa Ana, patron saint of the place, and Santa Cecilia, patron of music.

 

 

Address: 
Stair #444 of the Diego Noboa Staircases, top of Santa Ana Hill.
Parish: 
Tarqui
Horario: 
Mass schedule: Sundays at 12h00
Photo gallery: 
Capilla del Cerro Santa Ana (Christian Bruckmann)
 Interior de la Capilla del Cerro Santa Ana (José Dimitrakis)
 Imagen de la Virgen de la Merced (José Dimitrakis)
 Vitrales interior Iglesia Cerro Santa Ana (CJ González)