The journalist Ismael Perez Pazmiño founded El Universo newspaper on September 16, 1921. The historical building is the third of the four headquarters that the newspaper had. At first it was built as a Masonic Temple by the White Construction Company and was inaugurated on September 1, 1924.
Seven years later, on October 31, 1931, the journalist Ismael Perez Pazmiño acquired the building to serve as the main office of the newspaper. It was inaugurated on April 13, 1932. The newspaper worked in that building for almost 62 years. That building was witness of several major events in the life of the newspaper and the country. It was even the place where the body of its director and founder Ismael Perez Pazmiño was mourned, after his death on November 1, 1944 in Los Angeles, United States.
Its sumptuous facade of round columns that end in capitals; its windows that also have smaller columns and the triangular roof in which the characteristic symbol of the newspaper can be seen, which is a globe that has the name of the newspaper in the middle.