The castle belonged to the Martinez Peribonio family formed by Spanish businessman Jose Martinez Esponcedra, owner of the famous Fox cola that was packaged in the back of the property, and his wife Lucrecia Peribonio Brajcic.
Spanish architect Juan Orus Madinya built it in 1930. On March 24, 2010, the Municipality of Guayaquil approved the expropriation and occupation of the castle, which was declared Cultural Heritage of Ecuador by the National Institute of Cultural Heritage (INPC, for its acronym in Spanish), through ministerial agreement of June 7, 1990.
The building will house soon the Carlos A. Rolando Library and the city’s Archive, which comprises works of national artists.
The fortress in beige color has three floors, 38 windows of different sizes and 13 balconies. 17 pillars support the structure with 4 towers in the upper part, two on each side.