The Salesian School Cristobal Colon was named after the discoverer of America, since at that time, it was forbidden to label educational establishments with religious names. The Salesian missionary Monsignor Domingo Comin founded it on May 28, 1911, same date were the main building the inauguration of the building, which has been located in the Centenario Neighborhood since its inauguration.
The history of this heritage building dates back to 1904 when several Salesian Fathers started the process to have a building of their own whose construction began in 1908 and was completed in 1911. The building was a three-story wooden construction. As complementary work the Maria Auxiliadora Temple was built in the south corner of the school, which lasted until 1928 and was also made of wood. Then, a new church was built, keeping its first architectural features. Between 1934 and 1936 the current church was constructed, whose work corresponds to the Italian architect Paolo Russo Scuderi.
In 1945, 34 years after the construction of the wooden school during the administration of Father Cayetano Tarruel, the building was demolished to begin the construction of the current building in concrete, whose design and construction was led by architect Juan Orus Madinya. This work was inaugurated in 1951 and remained without major changes until 2006. On January 15, 2007, under the lead of priest Alfredo Espinoza, the work started again and was completed in 2009.