The Fort of La Planchada was built in 1647 and was a bulwark against the attacks of the pirates that tried to loot the city during the times of the Colony.
It was built with stone blocks in the most strategic point of the city, next to the river to watch the entry of vessels in order to protect the first urban settlement of the city at the slopes of the hill.
According to history, the original fort dates from the XVII century, when it was used to defend the city against the attacks of the Dutch pirates led by Capitan Gubernant in 1624, which tried to loot the city in two occasions. During the combat, several citizens lost their lives; although the battle was won, the city was destroyed completely.
The name given to the fort has a very singular story. In that time, the place had big cliffs and rocky hills that made the land very irregular. To fix this, the inhabitants use to flatten the land. In our country the word “planchar” means to iron that is use symbolically when something needs to be flatten like the wrinkles in the clothes. That’s why the fort’s name is La Planchada, in reference to the use of the word. History says that the land was flattened completely in 1960 for the festivities of Corpus Christi.
The fort of La Planchada has great historic value, since it was one of the sceneries of the independence deed of Guayaquil. In the early hours of October 9, 1820, Sargent Hilario Vargas and his troop took over the military fort of La Planchada, with the help of the inhabitants of Las Peñas Neighborhood who joined the independence cause.
In 1996, the fort was declared Heritage Monument by the National Institute of Heritage and Culture (INPC, for its Spanish acronym).
Two cannons form part of the Fort that are located within a circled area and positioned to defend the city of Guayaquil, like they used to be during the times of the Colony and the Republic.