History tells that the current Municipal Palace was built where the former Town Hall was located since 1817. During that time the Act of Independence was signed in the city, on October 9, 1820. However by 1908 the building was burned due to a rodent plague.
From that time the City Hall worked in several buildings until 1921, when the need for having their own space convened a tender that was won by the Italian Construction Company. The architect Francisco Maccaferri made the design of the building and the engineer Juan Lignarolo later built it. The construction of the building involved the Italian architects Paolo Russo and Juan Orus, who followed the plans of Maccaferri.
The first stone was placed on July 31, 1924 and more than four years later, on February 27, 1929, the Municipal Palace was inaugurated to commemorate the Battle of Tarqui and the signature of the Guayaquil Treaty, with a solemn ceremony presided by the Ecuadorian President Isidro Ayora.
Attractions: The Municipal Palace of Guayaquil is an architectural treasure whose modern renaissance style is a mixture of the Doric – Gothic art of the 20’s. Its façade has small details that stand out like the phrases in Latin that decorate the main frontage, the beautiful bas-reliefs, the image of powerful condors and the imposing columns.
Another attraction is the dome, the jars and the allegorical figures located in the superior triangle of the northern façade, a work of Italian sculptor Emilio Soro Lenti. In the est area of the triangle, a woman can be seen holding books and manuscripts in her hands, symbols of knowledge. The figure that looks to the West has the wheel of industry that evokes the understanding of life and the symbol allusive to architecture.
Another great attraction is the emblem of Santiago Mayor, the patron saint of the city, which is a beautiful woodcarving that was placed in 1999 in the Municipality. Originally, it was in the Cathedral, which was removed from its facade in 1943, three days before it crumbled, therefore, it was donated to the Municipality.
The Eduardo Arosemena Passage bears the name of banker and first president of the Junta de Beneficencia Municipal de Guayaquil (Municipal Welfare Board), and crosses the building of the Municipality connecting it with the avenues Malecon Simon Bolivar and Pichincha.
It has a dome made of iron and glass, with crystals imported from the Adolfi House of Milan, Italy; which at the time was an architectural trend worldwide.
Following the Hellenic tradition, the pillars of the building depict feminine figures that evoke the Greek culture.
At the entrance of the octagonal volt of the Passage, there are four polychrome seals with octagonal figures and geometrical designs, which represent an aesthetic tradition from the times of the renaissance.