Is dedicated to the so-called "Marshall of Ayacucho", Antonio Jose de Sucre y Alcala, one of the most distinguished Patriots of America. Its author is the Italian sculptor Augusto Faggioni Vannuncci. The sculpture was built in 1910 and was officially inaugurated on October 8, 1911. In 2004, it was restored and relocated in its current site.
History tells that the monument was born from an initiative of the newspaper Los Andes on its edition of February 3, 1887, in which it expressed the need to build a statue in honor of this notorious Patriot and called the public to financially contribute to the project. Many years after the idea was proposed, in 1908, the "The Pro Monument Committee to General Sucre” took the task of building the statue.
The statue, in which Sucre appears dressed in the military uniform of the time, carrying a sword on his belt and binoculars in his hands, has a height of 8,50 meters and is supported by a main base that has two bronze plaques to the sides and the coat of arms of Ecuador at the front, flanked with the phrase "To Sucre-Guayaquil".
The statue of Sucre stands above a pedestal whose inferior bottom is of granite and marble. At the top of the pedestal, toward the front, there is a high relief in bronze that represents the battle of Pichincha, in which the figures of General Jose Maria Cordova, riding a horse, and Lieutenant Abdon Calderon, stand out among a group of fighters.