The bust pays tribute to Spanish conqueror Francisco de Orellana, one of the founders of the city and discoverer of the Amazon River. It is located in the place where the city was settled. It was inaugurated on October 12, 1929 and was crafted by Rosario Villagomez, sculptor from Quito.
At first, the sculpture was placed at the Alameda of Rocafuerte Street, in the intersection with Orellana Street, north of the city. It remained there until 1930 when it was transferred to Colon Square. Finally, in 2003, following the Urban Regeneration program carried out by the Municipality of Guayaquil, it was located definitely at the new Colon Square, built at the top part of the tunnel of Santa Ana Hill.
The sculpture represents Orelllana dressed in the classic armor used in the times of the conquest, watching the river over a solid base of concrete that has a high relief that shows the coat of arms, a lion holding a banner of two crossed stripes and the tower of a castle. The high relief is crowned with the face of an indigenous man surrounded by laurel and olive branches.
Each one of the facades has its particularity. The north one has a high relief that shows Orellana meeting an angel of female appearance that is offering him a laurel wreath while holding an olive branch in the other hand. In the bottom part a faltered figure can be appreciated, which symbolizes the great effort carried out by the conqueror during his expedition to the Amazon.
In the west façade there are three figures in a struggling march and one riding a horse that represents Orellana. Under this figure there is the image of a naked woman holding a Plenty’s horn that symbolizes the warrior tribe of the Amazon. In the South façade several characters are shown struggling while climbing and clearing the path of the inhospitable jungle.