Casa de la Cultura (Cultural Center) (Heritage)

Casa de la Cultura (Patrimonial)


The establishment of the Cultural Center dates back to 1944 as an initiative of Ecuadorian writer Manuel Benjamin Carrion. The following year, several centers were founded in different provinces of the Country, like the one in Guayas on July 4,1945, under the presidency of historian and archeologist Carlos Zevallos Menendez.
On October 9, 1947, the first stone was placed during a ceremony, but the construction started two years later on July 1949 following the design of architect from Guayaquil, Guillermo Cubillo Renella. The construction of the building was in charge of engineer Francisco Amador Icaza as representative of the Cultural Center.
The project comprised an area of 3.164 square meters, but for financial reasons, only 1000 square meters were built, remaining the cinema and the theater that were constructed many years later.
In 1959, the continuance of the work was commissioned to Cubillo with a blocks design for the auditoriums. The original project never was executed and still remains incomplete.


The building has three facades. The main one stands out for the mural crafted by sculptor Alfredo Palacio Moreno and the elegant layout of the spiral staircase. Another attraction is the design of the auditorium, which has an inclined floor that allows the spectators to appreciate the scenario from different angles.

Its architecture of prismatic volume has six top floors that cover a whole block. The fa├žade is formed by a series of balconies with aligned windows with the same distance between each other. The interior has a spiral staircase that leads to the galleries of semicircular balconies.

9 de Octubre Boulevard and Pedro Moncayo Street.