San Jacinto del Morro Church (Heritage)

Iglesia San Jacinto del Morro (Patrimonial)


The church bears the name of its patron saint Polish Jacinto of Cracow, who was chose as protector in 1737 by the Chanduyes aborigines, the first inhabitants of the place, after taking hold of the lands of Caucan, Guzman and Jordan, according to the chronicle published by El Universo Newspaper on August 11, 2007.

The church has great historic and religious value since is one of the fewest churches from the colonial times. Its construction dates back to the XVIII century (1737), when it was built of wood and adobe in a lot located at the entrance of the parish. The building was reconstructed several times; the first one was in 1855 and took 43 years to finish it in 1898, according to the local history books. The temple was made of wood including the floor and the columns that were covered with planks; it also had 20 windows in the lateral walls and three entrances at the front.

During the first restoration, human skeletons were found underneath the altar, which probably belonged to the priests.

In 1993, the Central Bank tried to restore the church doing some fixings in the roof, however, the remodeling works were put on hold for 15 years, until 2008, when the Municipality of Guayaquil intervened to restore the church as part of the urban regeneration process to be inaugurated on January 30, 2010.

The temple was remodeled keeping its original materials, among them, the carved wood covered in gold and the zinc imitation with artisan tiles of the upper pat of the towers. The church was declared as cultural heritage in 1980.


its colonial architecture; the bell tower that can be reached climbing the stairway located inside the church, which offers a lovely contact with nature, since, at the top, there are some windows from which the visitor can observe a swamp surrounded by tamarind trees, and the Manglarcito Island (in front), which is inhabited by diverse birds.

Within this natural environment, the doves constitute another attraction of the church, which enter through the lateral edges of the temple.

Central Street, block 123, opposite to Central Park.
El Morro
Mass schedule: Saturdays: 17h00.