The church was built in 1905 by Venezuelan engineer Francisco Manrique, and was completed in 1926, as read in the inscription engraved in the façade of Eloy Alfaro Avenue. Italian architect Francisco Maccaferri designed the façade.
The initials A.M.D.G. can be seen in the upper part of the façade; words in Latin that mean Ad maiorem Dei gloriam (to the greatest Glory of God). Right in the center there is a monogram with the word Jeshu that can be translated as “the Man of Light”.
One of the most important statuary heritage of Guayaquil is located at the interior of the church, which were crafted by Italian sculptor Enrico Pacciani, among them a figure of Christ after he was removed from the cross, the Altarpiece of the Main Altar, the carvings of Golgotha and a carving in Carrara marble that represents the Christ-Child. The body of Saint Narcisa de Jesus was placed inside a lateral crypt.
While entering and touring the left nave, the visitor can appreciate the beautiful sculpture of Christ in the grave. Over this niche there is a group of statues of the Calvary that evoke the moment when Jesus speaks both to Mary, his mother, and John, his apostle: “Woman, behold your son. Son, behold your Mother”. At the foot of the statues is Mary Magdalene; the sculptures belong to Enrico Pacciani, as well.
Moving forward the left nave there is a lovely stained glass window brought from France, which was donated by the Santiestevan family.
The church has an interior tower that houses three bells crafted by the Paccard House of Savoy in France, and a terrace surrounded by balusters decorated in the shape of jars. There is also a rosette stained glass window of eight petals that represent the eight beatitudes of Christian theology. A dome that stands out for its skylight crowns the Main Altar.
Another attraction is the figure to Ecuadorian Saint Narcisa de Jesus Martillo Moran, masterly crafted by artisans of San Antonio de Ibarra.