Santa Ana Hill

Cerro Santa Ana



Santa Ana Hill is the place where Guayaquil was born back in the XVI century, between the decades of 1540 and 1550, when Spanish Diego de Urbina was resettling the city at the foot of the Cerrito Verde or Cerrito de la Culata, which, alongside the Carmen Hill formed an image similar to a saddle, for that the city was called “The saddle city”.

Tells the story that a Spanish treasure hunter by the name of Nino de Lecumberri, invoked the Saint Ana when he was facing death. When he survived, in gratitude, he placed a cross at the top of the hill, with the name of “Santa Ana” (Saint Ana) printed on it. Since then, the inhabitants started calling the place with the name that before was called “Loninchao” by the original aborigines. 


The 60-meter high hill is one of the most important viewpoints of the city that allows the appreciation of the city and its surroundings from a 350-view angle. To the north it can be seen the intersection of the Babahoyo and Daule rivers, which form the Guayas River; to the south: the commercial center of the city; to the east, the Santay Island and Duran; and to the west, the Carmen Hill and the rest of the city. There are binoculars at the viewpoint of the Hill for the tourists.

Santa Ana hill is also a touristic area that can be accessed by the Diego Noboa staircases that are formed by 444 stairs where there are squares, roundabouts, museums, a chapel, a lighthouse, art galleries, craft shops, Internet coffee places, bars and restaurants.

Numa Pompilio Llona and Jacinto Moran de Buitron streets