Italian architect Pedro Fontana built the building in 1925 for the Continental Society, which was established in 1922 by businessman Lorenzo Tous who imported liquors, food products and hardware articles. Later, the building belonged to the bank of America.
In 1990 a new story was added and on June 7 of the same year the building was declared Cultural Heritage. Currently, the General Directorate of the Merchant Navy.
The building has an architectural style characterized by arches and concrete balusters, very trendy in the Europe of that time. Every story has different features; the first floor has balconies with balusters; the second story there is a symmetric disposition of square windows with columns, and the third floor has windows of various geometrical shapes.