It was inaugurated in October 9 of 1920, as the pinnacle work of the celebration for the commemoration of the 100 years of Guayaquil’s independence.
Its history dates back to the end of the XIX century in 1891, when the Cantonal Council decided to build the column to the national heroes of Guayaquil.
The construction of the square was in charge of the White House & Co., in which was involved the Venezuelan engineer, Francisco Manrique Pacanis; the building works were supervised by George B. Allison.
On October 9 of 1899 the first stone was placed, and on October 9 of 1920, a century after the independence deed, with a ceremony presided by the President of the Country, Jose Luis Tamayo, the Square was inaugurated.
The square, one of the largest of the city, has 8.875 square meters and follows the traditional architectural detailing of the Sacred Woods of Classic Greece.
It has several attractions in which statues of great value stand out, which are surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The monument called “The Column to National Heroes”, crafted by Spanish sculptor Agustin Querol is located in the center of the Square, which pays tribute to the heroes of the independence deed of October 9 of 1820 that marked the local emancipation.
There are different statues in every gate of the square, each one with great symbolic significance. The “Fountain of the Lions” is located at the southwest corner of the Square.